Historic Sites
Tap the dot to move to the next photo.
The Country Side
Tap the dot to move to the next photo.
Arran Memories
Tap the dot to move to the next photo.
Notes
1. Postal service began on June 1, 1911 by John McLean and daughters Cassie and Maggie. Fourteen years later Thomas Terry left his homestead and served as postmaster from 1925 to 1954. The last mail was sorted by Helen Hrycenko on July 31, 1989.
2. A wagon-load of grain in the foreground awaits unloading on the ramp of a grain elevator.
3. Built of logs and covered with wood siding, it measures only 12 feet by 15 feet. The church was attended by many of the families that later migrated to the Arran district. It has been relocated and preserved as a national heritage on a bend in the Fishing River at the Trembowla Historical Site and Museum near Dauphin.
4. Which meant Grindstone, featured satirical reviews of the news and subtle editorials on local issues that were submitted by readers and rewritten into humorous rhyme and verse by the editorial staff. It proclaimed itself as the The Journal of Mirth, Madness and Merry-Making. Subscription: $1.50 per year (in advance), postage paid.
5. Scientifically engineered to sweep in cold air along the floor and circulate hot air from out the top, it was an expensive $168 in 1923.
6. Of those in the back row, five went off to the war. On the night of October 22, 1943, F/O Athanazie Chorneyko, fourth from left, failed to return from a bombing run over Kassel, Germany.