Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity built in Arran in 1936.
The Arran School, 1941.
Celebration of the feast of St. Peter on July 12, 1941 at the Ukrainian Catholic Church in the Vesna district.
The CN station where "meeting the train" to greet the arrival of guests or to bid farewell at departures or just to see it passing through was a source of great excitement and the biggest act in town.
Ruins of the Arran post office and slotted letter rack for persons who did not own combination lock-boxes, 2007. More 1...
The Stuart lumber mill on the banks of the Swan River.
Landmark residence of Louis Wasserman, proprietor of a general store during the thirties, as viewed from the railway station. More 2...
Mink River cabin built by Prokop and Anna Hrhyoryshen in 1900, seen 112 years later.
Old Highway 49 looking down at grain elevators in Arran.
Cabin occupied by Andrew and Juliana Rubashewsky and 5 children during the winter of 1907 while building a permanent house, as it stood in the summer of 1962.
"The more we get together, together, the happier we will be", and so they did from near and far, young and old, great and small, marking the 83rd anniversary of the Arran School in 1997.
St. Michael's Ukrainian Catholic Church, the first and oldest remaining Ukrainian Catholic church in Canada, was constructed in 1898 at Mink Creek, Manitoba. More 3...
Icons of Christ and the twelve apostles in the Holy Ascension Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the Kobzar district southeast of Arran. The custom was introduced into the Orthodox religion in the 16th century.
"Tochylo", a unique and classic 20-page Ukrainian monthly tabloid. More 4...
Five for 5¢. Any five boys who could raise a penny each could share dark secrets, as they sometimes did.
Survey map of Arran.
The legendary Waterman Waterbury furnace; a regular fixture in prairie schoolrooms from the Red River in the east to the foothills in the west. More 5...
A wartime ration book, a cheque from Eaton's and a commemorative yearbook.
Arran School K to Grade 2, June 1932, Teacher Miss Bright.
Catholic Church and hall.
Gateway to Arran school.
1. Postal service began on June 1, 1911 by John McLean and daughters Cassie and Maggie. Fourteen years later Thomas Terry left his homestead and served as postmaster from 1925 to 1954. The last mail was sorted by Helen Hrycenko on July 31, 1989.
2. A wagon-load of grain in the foreground awaits unloading on the ramp of a grain elevator.
3. Built of logs and covered with wood siding, it measures only 12 feet by 15 feet. The church was attended by many of the families that later migrated to the Arran district. It has been relocated and preserved as a national heritage on a bend in the Fishing River at the Trembowla Historical Site and Museum near Dauphin.
4. Which meant Grindstone, featured satirical reviews of the news and subtle editorials on local issues that were submitted by readers and rewritten into humorous rhyme and verse by the editorial staff. It proclaimed itself as the The Journal of Mirth, Madness and Merry-Making. Subscription: $1.50 per year (in advance), postage paid.
5. Scientifically engineered to sweep in cold air along the floor and circulate hot air from out the top, it was an expensive $168 in 1923.
Arran School Grade 6 to 8, June 1940, Principal Michael Gawluk, Teacher John Pernarowski
Arran School Grade 6 to 8, May 1947, Teacher Lydia Zaharychuk